Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Itinerary




I am trying to enjoy the halcyon days of this summer. Before I know it, I will be ushered off to the other side of the world with numerous adventures awaiting!

Before I set off to get my Byzantine fix in Bulgaria, I'll be headed to Germany with the family. We are all going because my cousin is to wed on the northeast coast at a place called Hiddensee.

I officially leave on July 8 headed for Munich with a layover in Switzerland. From Munich I will begin a teutonic road-trip with my brother and his wife to Berlin where we should meet up with the rest of the family on the 11th or 12th. While in Berlin I shall reunite with a long lost high school acquaintance, Ms. Klein, which should be amazing. I say that because, after all, this will be directly after the German's claim victory over the FIFA 2010 World Cup... so the locals will be exhibiting great composure and decorum. Right?

So from Berlin, off to Hiddensee for a couple nights then back to Berlin then a hop skip and a jump over to Budapest and then onto Varna (Bulgaria) where I will checkin and attend an orientation on the 18th concerning the dig. I will dig up amazing artifacts and old things until July 31st - on the eve of which I will take an overnight bus from Varna to Istanbul, setting afoot on the ground of the motherland at around a half past ten, August 1st. That coming week will be full of small pilgrimages and urbane historical analysis of that amazingly historically rich city of antiquity.

I should expect to be back in California on Aug 8. Unless I just cannot tear myself away from Constantinople... entirely possible.

3 comments:

  1. You write really well and your blog is wonderful!

    The world is at your feet....go for it!

    Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting John!
    I just know you will be famous one day!
    I will be looking forward to your daily journal.
    Good luck and have the time of your life.
    love,
    Aunt Loree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear about the adventures.
    -C

    ReplyDelete